Ah, the new Moon is such a wonderful time to start anew in many ways. It shows that all things are cyclical and will begin again. Dreams to manifest, women’s menstrual cycles, and crop growing cycles are all affected by the Moon’s desire to start fresh.
Technically speaking, it is the first lunar phase when the Sun and Moon have the same ecliptic longitude. According to Wikipedia, “the lunar disk is not visible to the unaided eye, except when silhouetted during a solar eclipse. Daylight outshines the earthlight that dimly illuminates the new moon.” In lay|wo|man’s terms, the Sun and Earth are on opposite sides of the Moon.
Starting a project, reflecting on old goals while creating new ones, and manifesting what you want from life are all tasks to be done in the 24 hours of a new Moon. After choosing what your intention is with a new Moon it is good to create a ritual to send it to a higher power. Whomever it is that you pray to, enlist his/her/its help to bring your intention to fruition.
Rituals are very personal and need to feel right for you. Below are different ritualistic activities to send your intuition out.
- Cleanse and smudge yourself or environment with sage, palo santo, cedar, salt, or oil sprays
- Specifically document your wishes. Read it aloud under the new Moon. Thank your higher being for the support offered in your intention.
- Sacred bathing is a nice way to celebrate a new Moon as well. Candles, crystals, and herbs can used to nourish your soul in this time
- Write a new Moon check to yourself to manifest abundance and prosperity. Tear it up at the full Moon as you are releasing it to your higher being to take care of for you.
- Mantras and affirmations are good any time, but at a new Moon they become anchoring phrases of intent. Lighting a candle while saying one that resonates with you only imprints further on your soul.
Listen to your intuition at each new Moon to see if a ritual intuitively speaks to you. It may vary based on the Moon itself or how you’re feeling. Personally, I love to journal my intentions and then release them. I have written abundance checks with success as well.
If you missed this new Moon, no worries. There’s another coming up in about 29.5 days just waiting for you to manifest your biggest dreams.